Getting to San Diego
The San Diego Airport is located just ten minutes from downtown San Diego and serviced by 22 major and commuter airlines including non-stop flights from Mexico, Canada, Japan and the UK; Southwest Airlines has its own terminal at San Diego Airport and often has lower fares than other airlines.
Directions from Airport to Venue
The Shrine Center is 11.8 miles from San Diego International Airport (3225 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA). Directions from Airport to Shrine Center (5440 Kearny Mesa Road):
Get on I-5 S Airport Terminal Rd.
Take CA-163 N to Clairemont Mesa Blvd
Take exit 8 from CA-163 N
Take exit 8 for Clairemont Mesa Blvd
Continue on Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
Drive to Kearny Mesa Rd: 5440 Kearny Mesa Road.
The Shrine Center is 0.7 miles from the San Diego HRS Adoption Center (4807 Mercury Street Suite A, San Diego, tel # (858) 565-2869) This is a short walk or cab ride, or people can use Uber or Lyft.
Following are the ways to get from the airport to the venue and hotels:
By Public Transportation: This link gives multiple bus choices for getting from the airport to the venue. If you use Uber or Lyft, both also serve San Diego.
By Taxi: Taxis can be found outside terminals 1 and 2 at the airport.
By Shuttle: Airport shuttles run regularly from the airport terminals to various points around the city and can be booked in advanced. Shuttles provide an easy to use, economical alternative to a taxi.
By Rental Car: Most major car rental companies are easily accessible from the airport. Use the car rental reservation boards located near the baggage claim areas of terminals 1 and 2 to catch a shuttle to the car rental locations.
If you’d like to share a ride with others coming to the venue, please email [email protected] with your flight information and we will add your name to the share list.
San Diego is a car city, so if you choose to rent a car, you will be able to get around the easiest. However, even without a car, once you get to the hotel (assuming you choose one of the hotels below), the venue is within walking distance, as are dozens of restaurants!
If you do want to explore the city using public transportation, you will want to either use the bus (Metropolitan Transit System) which does go to many of San Diego’s top attractions, or a taxi or Uber/Lyft. For trips in and around downtown, you can hop on the trolley. One-way fares cost between $2.25 and $5. Day passes, which are good for unlimited rides on most MTS bus and trolley routes, cost $5. Ferries run regularly between downtown’s Broadway Pier and the Convention Center and Coronado. The ride takes about 15 minutes, and one-way tickets cost $4.25 per person.
Ramada San Diego North Inn (62 feet away), 5550 Kearny Mesa Road, San Diego, tel. # (858) 278-0800. We have a block of 30 rooms at $119 a night. Last day to book: October 5, 2017. Rooms are standard two Queens, and include a breakfast buffet from 6-8am for up to 4ppl/room, and complimentary parking. Guests can call the reservations line at 800.447.2637 to book their reservations. When making reservations, mention this code (CG19HR) to receive the discounted rate of $119.00 a night plus tax.
Hampton Inn San Diego-Kearny Mesa (128 feet away), 5434 Kearny Mesa Road, San Diego, tel. # (858) 292-1482. We have a block of 50 rooms (30 Queen/Queen, 20 King) at $149/night + tax, for the nights arriving Friday October 20th and departing Sunday October 22nd. Continental breakfast and parking included. Last day to book: September 20, 2017 [10/2/17 THIS DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED, there are 24 rooms still available, please book as soon as possible]; 2-night minimum stay, 48-hour cancellation policy. Please use “HRS” when you reserve. If you book online, type HRS into the group code when you do it, using this link. Anyone wanting to book pre- and post-conference nights can call Joy Polimeni, Front Office Manager Hampton Inn: (858) 292-1482.
Residence Inn 6-9am M-F & 7-10am weekends
Ramada 6am-10am M-F & 6am-11am weekends
Hampton Inn 6-10am everyday
There are plenty of other hotels and motels in the vicinity that may have cheaper rates, but they are not within walking distance of the venue. But if you have a car, you can choose to stay wherever you’d like!
If you’d like to share a hotel room with other educators, please email [email protected] with your details and we will add your name to the share list. If you’d like to see if you can stay at a home with a San Diego HRS volunteer, please email [email protected] with that request as well.
Lunches will be catered by Veggie Grill, for all participants who choose this option; Dinner on Saturday night will be catered by Rancho Cocina. For other meals, or if you want to handle your own food, San Diego has a huge variety of restaurants for every type of taste. Following are some choices you may want to check out:
Within 3 miles
- The Godfather 7878 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
- Homestyle Hawaiian Restaurant 7524 Mesa College Dr
- Pokirrito 4646 Convoy St #101-A
- Poki One N Half 8055 Armour St
- Tajima Izakaya 4411 Mercury St #110
- Wa Dining Okan 3860 Convoy St
- Dumpling Inn & Shanghai Saloon 4625 Convoy St
- Elijah’s Restaurant 7061 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
- Shan Xi Magic Kitchen 4344 Convoy St
- Islands Restaurant 7637 Balboa Ave
- Phuong Trang 4170 Convoy St
- Tsuruhashi Japanese BBQ 3904 Convoy St #106
- IHOP 6135 Balboa Ave
- The Original Sab-E-Lee 6925 Linda Vista Rd B
- Friend’s House Korean 4647 Convoy St #101-A
- Yakyudori 4898 Convoy St
- Kula Revolving Sushi Bar 4609 Convoy St f
- Lupe’s Taco Shop 7621 Linda Vista Rd
- Picasso Naturals, 7420 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
- Starbucks, 4898 Convoy Street
- Starbucks, 9211 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
- Starbucks, 4380 Kearny Mesa Rd.
Vegetarian and vegan restaurants in San Diego
- Evolution Fast Food 2965 5th Ave, San Diego – 619-550-1818
- Plant Power Fast Food 2204 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego – 619-450-6845
- Kindred 1503 30th St (at South Park District), San Diego – 619-546-9653
- Loving Hut – Mira Mesa 9928 Mira Mesa Blvd, San Diego – 858-578-8885
- Loving Hut – North Park Uptown 1905 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego – 619-683-9490
- Moncai Vegan 3531 Adams Ave, San Diego – 619-228-9881
- Native Foods – Claremont Mesa 5604 Balboa Ave Ste 107, San Diego – 858-278-2855
- Native Foods – Point Loma 3369 Rosecrans St, San Diego – 619-225-1155
- Peace Pies – San Diego 4230 Voltaire St (at Ocean Beach), San Diego – 619-223-2880
- Veganic Thai Café 1417A University Ave, San Diego – 619-230-5540
- Cafe Gratitude 1980 Kettner Blvd, San Diego – 619-736-5077
- Cafe Jay 9450 Scranton Rd 114 D, San Diego – 858-558-8598
- Chennai Tiffins 9484 Black Mountain Rd Ste H, San Diego – 858-566-7300
- Jyoti-Bihanga 3351 Adams Ave (at Normal Heights), San Diego – 619-282-4116
- Ocean Beach People’s Organic Foods Deli 4765 Voltaire St (at Sunset Cliffs, Ocean Beach), San Diego – 619-224-1387
- Plumeria 4661 Park Blvd, University Heights (at Adams Ave), San Diego – 619-269-9989
- Rasraj 9252 Miramar Rd, San Diego – 858-605-0447, 858-689-6919
- Sipz Fusion Cafe – Clairemont Mesa 5501 Clairemont Mesa Blvd (at I-805), San Diego – 858-279-3747
- Sipz Fusion Cafe – North Park 3914 30th St (at North Park), San Diego – 619-795-2889
- Surati Farsan Mart 9494 Black Mountain Rd (at north of Miramar Rd), San Diego – 858-549-7280
- The Purple Mint 6171 Mission Gorge Rd Ste 118, San Diego – 619-280-3388
- WorldBeat Café 2100 Park Blvd, San Diego – 619-230-1190