Pictures & Fun
| Amoxicillin Warning |
This obscures the problem to veterinarinas who are less familiar with rabbits. If they have treated several rabbits with no side effects, they may assume that it is a safe drug for rabbits. (Many of the people notifying us have changed veterinarians and the previous vet, who prescribed the Amoxicillin does not hear the resultant death.) Another reason is the delayed reaction. Sometimes a rabbit dies up to 10 days after treatment has ended. This is because it takes some time for the 2-step process. THe beneficial gut flora have been destroyed, allowing the overgrowth of pathogenic (to rabbits) bacteria. If the pathogenic bacteria are of certain strains, they will produce toxins that can kill the rabbit.
Whether or not a rabbit survives treatment with Amoxicillin depends on quantities and strains of pathogenic bacteria left in the intestines and the individual rabbit's ability to cope with the toxins produced.
Our veterinarians never want to take that risk. And all veterinarians on our referral list never take the risk. There are too many other choices. We have yet to see culture results of an infection that is sensitive only to Amoxicillin
House Rabbit Society is a nonprofit rescue and education group.
We welcome your feedback and appreciate your donations. Please join today!