Pet Loss Support and Grief
Online Pet Loss Support Resources
Learning to Love Again – an article by Amy Berg on opening one’s heart after a rabbit has died
Pet Loss Support for your Rabbit – an HRJ article by Marinell Harriman on providing support to the surviving partner
Alabama EARS Rainbow Bridge – a page dedicated to rabbits who have gone over to the Rainbow Bridge
Bunspace Rainbow Bridge Forum – Bunspace’s discussion forum for rabbits who have gone to the Rainbow Bridge
Memorial Pages – Links to bunnies with their own memorial page websites
Products that may help with your grief:
Memorial Gallery Pets, a company that makes memorial jewelry for pet owners, has just created two new rabbit memorial necklaces. With the purchase of an up eared rabbit or lop eared cremation jewelry pendant, a percentage of profits are donated to HRS. Be sure to enter HRS in the order notes so that HRS gets a donation from your purchase.
Psych Cremation Jewelry makes glass pet cremation memorials and comes highly recommended.
LuLu Pure Soy Candles are hand-crafted and hand-poured using only simple ingredients. Rainbow Bridge Candles are also available, and can be personalized with poem printed on seeded paper, which can be planted to further memorialize your loving pet. The little bunny on our logo symbolizes all things organic, sustainable and fertile. For us at LuLu, she symbolizes the hope that everyone can help nurture and protect the environment and all living things, regardless of the size of your mission or the size of your inner-bunny! A percentage of profits are donated to HRS.
Pet Honoring Memorials are kits that allow you to create your own pet memorial and your own honoring ceremony. Honoring Ceremonies are designed to ease transition, elevate love and understanding and celebrate life.
General pet grief:
Many veterinary Schools Sponsor pet loss support hotlines (grief counseling.) Here is a listing of hotlines we are aware of:
- 352-294-4434 – Staffed by counselors at the University of Florida; calls are returned within 24 hours, weekdays
- 517-432-2696 – Staffed by Michigan State University veterinary students; Tuesday to Thursday, 6:30-9:30 pm, Eastern time
- 607-253-3932 – Support hotline at Cornell University; Tuesday to Thursday, 6:00-9:00 pm, Eastern time
- 508-839-7966 – Tufts University pet loss support hotline; Monday to Thursday, 6:00-9:00 pm Eastern time during the academic year
- 877-394-CARE (2273) – Staffed by University of Illinois veterinary students; Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, 7:00-9:00 pm Central time
- 630-325-1600 – Staffed by Chicago VMA veterinarians and staff. Leave voice-mail message; calls will be returned 7-9 pm, Central Time (Long distance calls will be returned collect)
- 540-231-8038 – Staffed by the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine; Tuesday, Thursday, 6-9 pm, Eastern time
Pet Loss Support Counselors:
Ann Beyke – M.A., L.P.C. (Albuquerque) 505-265-3087 or email@example.com. Ms. Beyke has trained with Dr. Wallace Sife, author of The Loss of a Pet and founder of the Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement.
The Association for Pet Loss and Berevement provides counseling and resources to help people through grief. Visit their site for local support groups, chaplains, and information about counseling services.
Pet Loss Support Groups:
Peninsula Humane Society (in San Mateo, CA) offers a pet loss support group meeting at 7:00-8:30pm on the 2nd Thursday of each month. For information, contact Lindsay Reynolds at 650-340-7022 ext. 344 or visit http://peninsulahumanesociety.org/upcoming/ongoing.html#loss.
The Berkeley-East Bay Humane Society, 2700 9th Street, Berkeley, CA 510-845-7735. Meets the 3rd Tuesday of each month, 7-8:30pm. For information, contact Jill Goodfriend at 510-393-1359.
SFSPCA Pet Loss Support group, 243 Alabama St., San Francisco, CA 415-554-3050. Meets the 1st Tuesday of each month, 7:30-9pm
The Redwood Empire Veterinary Medical Association Pet Loss Support Group, Brookdale Lodge @ Paulin Creek, 2375 Range Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 707-527-9330. Meets Tuesdays, 7:15-8:15pm
Here’s a book that many people have found useful.
|When Only the Love Remains
by Emily Margaret Stuparyk
This 240 paged hardcover book is the author’s journey though the grief following the sudden and untimely death of her precious pet rabbit, Poochie. Her writing helped her recover from her death, is a memorial to her glorious life, and is already helping others to deal with their grief upon the death of a beloved pet friend.
More Info on Purchasing Online…